This week: Sydney / Lake Maquarie / Sydney / Auckland / Sydney.
Finished my third Dan Brown book, Deception Point. What is the Dan Brown Code? Simple:
- Slighly off-centre, strange yet handsome/beautiful primary character gets thrown into a “situation”.
- The “situation” has an echo in modern culture conspiracy theories or edge-case science fact
- The antagonist is the person closest to the primary character, or primary character’s new love-interest
- Cut chapters just short and leave the characters hanging. Forces the reader to “read on” and not put the book down
- Weave in some science fiction or myth as the central theme
- Obviously, the story ends with the primary character “winning” (happy ending) and scoring with their love-interest on the last page.
As a reader of Ludlum, Clancy and other thrillers, Dan Brown is missing some their “meat”. Maybe this is the nature of modern, post cold-war thrillers where the Soviets/China are no longer the central enemy?