Objective lessons learnt:
- social media is not a free-for-all
- online communities have rules
- wikipedia does openly publish their rules. These rulesÂ and style guide are long.Â
- newbies are left to freely create their own entries
- strong editorial process quickly clamps down on new entries, especially from newbies
- wikipedia’s editors have strong rules, all published, and are followed
- biographiesÂ detailing living people are very carefully vetted
- if you are a blogger and work for a large company, you probably “haven’t done anything of note for the world“
- people’s definition of anything of note differs.
It would be interesting to watch wikipedia to see if these rules are evenly applied.